On Oct 12, 2010, at 11:49 PM, <mohamed.boucad...@orange-ftgroup.com>
<mohamed.boucad...@orange-ftgroup.com> wrote:
> If we adopt the sub-option scheme with the following values:
>   1    AFTR IP Addres
>   2    AFTR Name

Mohamed, Roberta, you seem to have a very strong opinion that is based on the
principle "someone insists that we have this."   I have to ask: what is your
goal here?   Is your goal to publish an RFC with your name on it that does what
you want, even though probably no-one will implement it because it requires
code changes to both the server and client?   Or is it to get something that
works, and can be used?

If it's the former, then by all means, ignore our advice.   If it's the latter,
you might want to consider listening to the advice you're getting.   The point
of the advice is not to be authoritarian or arbitrary.   It's to encourage you
to write a spec that will be implemented and widely deployed, because it will
require no code changes on DHCP servers or clients.

David's suggestion to use suboptions wasn't necessary.   You can use both FQDN
and IP address, and just require that the client request both.   The problem
with this is that you gain nothing over just doing FQDN in this case, since the
client must implement a resolver in case the server doesn't send the IP address
option.

I think you are driving very hard for a Pyrrhic victory.