On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 08:49:47AM +0200, mohamed.boucad...@orange-ftgroup.com
wrote:
> Thank you for this clarification.

I think you may have misunderstood - I did not mean that the IESG's
main complaint was with the complex normative requirements, I meant
that this would be a fair way (I hope) to assess the motivations that
inspire the complaint.  The direction was pretty clear that we needed
to drop one of the two formats.

"Alias" options are not technically impossible.  I can point to a few
RFC's that describe options with partially overlapping or completely
aliased configuration state - just providing different formats.  They
are "IETF improbable" because of the complexity required in their
implementation - collectively, we are wary that people will actually
follow the (important) directions we include in our protocols, or that
we'll even be able to write appropriate directions to begin with.

I don't see a way to retain the two formats without also requiring the
complex normative requirements (on operators writing their
configurations!) as we did in -04.

> "it is not advisable to group options that may not be
>    requested at the same time by the same client under an encapsulated
>    space."
>
> Which is not the case of the aftr option.

Sub-options are more of a way to encode multiple configuration values
of variable length, wherein if the client requests one of the options
it is a given the client must also receive the others in order to work.
I can't think of an example of this off the top of my head.

But the crux of it is that the server will reply with the entire
encapsulated space.  This isn't really a problem tho, particularly
in DHCPv6, because it's just a space optimization issue.  It also
doesn't work around the problem of client implementation of the
different formats.  We would still have to require that one of the
formats always appears from the server (the simplest, the address
option), that the client always supports the simplest option and at
its option implements the other formats, and then we'd still wind up
with the situation where the client gets the IPv6 address of its AFTR
endpoint -and its name- and then goes through all that resolution work
to find out if there might be a different address to use.

I mostly included the sub-option mechanic as a third option to be
complete.  It is a habit of mine to enumerate issues to enunciate
that we are not arguing a false dichotomy.  There is a real dichotomy
here - address or FQDN and not both - centered on the discussion of
the acceptance (or rejection if you prefer) of complexity in DHCP
option format standards.

--
David W. Hankins        "If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer                    you'll just have to do it again."