On 01/27/09 08:13, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> horst39 wrote:

>>> Started up all o.k. this morning!!
>>>
>>> Don't know what happened....nor what happened to my first reply to
>>> Peter!!
>>>
>>> Daniel
>> I'm having exactly the same problem since some weeks!
>> The only solution I found is to switch off SM but when I try to restart
>> it nothing happens. The only way is to kill SM in the task manager.
>> Then SM works again perfectly for several hours or even days!
>> Next time it happens I will see if the reply button works as for Daniel.
>> I'm using Windows 2000.
>> Horst
>
> if you shut it down and its still in the task manager,
> then that means it hasn't shut down properly.  There
> are 2 possible solutions: 1 is to kill it using the
> task manager, and the other is to delete the file
> parent.lock [or .parentlock or whatever its called for
> your OS]

If after closing the application, it is still found in the
task manager, isn't the process is still running? (Yes, it is).

Are you sure you want to suggest that he can delete the lock file
at this point?

Won't simply deleting the lock file allow a new process to start
even while one process is still running - possibly resulting in
corrupted profile data?

It seems he should look for why the process is still running. Perhaps
he has quick launch enabled (is that still available?) or there is
some other problem.

Now, if after killing any instances of the process in the task manager,
you can't run the application (because it claims it is already running),
then I think you need to look into removing the lock file.