I'm sorry - my prior response was incorrect, I misread Lee's message

Hi Lee - What you propose does not in any way solve my problem.  No
matter what I select in that window, SM will still convert all
messages to plain text that it thinks can be converted to plain text.
The setting in Preferences has no effect on this autoconversion
process.  (Try it!)

Thanks though - (Although personally I'd like to think that if there
was that easy a solution I would have had the intelligence to find it
before posting this thread).

Again - Please!  a way to turn off auto-conversion to plain text.