The date and time was Friday, April 10, 2009 3:25:30 PM, and on a whim, NoOp pounded out on the keyboard:

On 04/10/2009 09:11 AM, Frank Wein wrote:
NoOp wrote:
I normally do not run windows, and run linux instead. However I've been
running WinXPPro (SP3) on a second machine to assist someone
troubleshooting a SeaMonkey issue. I've run into an issue with upgrading
from SM 1.1.14 to 1.1.15 and now 1.1.16 whereby I receive WinXP startup
errors due to SM replacing the MAPI32.DLL in the Windows System32
directory upon each upgrade. To add insult to injury... 1.1.15 & 1.1.16
required reboots.

If I leave the SM mapi32.dll installed, I received the following error
on startup:
[...]

Try deleting the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Desktop\Mapi_backup_dll (if it
exists, that is :).

No key; I even did a registry search.

Then it should no longer replace the file. I'm not
sure why the registry entry might be there, just check if it is and
report back? Normally it should only exist when a very old IE version
(<5.5 as far as I know) was once installed, which can normally not be
the case on Windows XP.

Frank

I should note that I have both 1.1.16 and 2.0a3 installed on that box.

Probably the easiest would be for one of the WinXP users here to install
the WindowsSearch:
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/choose/windowssearch4.mspx?tab=Install_it>
I reinstalled and as soon as I did, the error popped up - didn't even
have to reboot.

Actually it would be better for you to uninstall WS. I don't allow that search crap on any workstations I manage. Nothing but a performance hit.

Terry R.