On 04/10/2009 09:11 AM, Frank Wein wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> I normally do not run windows, and run linux instead. However I've been
>> running WinXPPro (SP3) on a second machine to assist someone
>> troubleshooting a SeaMonkey issue. I've run into an issue with upgrading
>> from SM 1.1.14 to 1.1.15 and now 1.1.16 whereby I receive WinXP startup
>> errors due to SM replacing the MAPI32.DLL in the Windows System32
>> directory upon each upgrade. To add insult to injury... 1.1.15 & 1.1.16
>> required reboots.
>>
>> If I leave the SM mapi32.dll installed, I received the following error
>> on startup:
> [...]
>
> Try deleting the registry key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Desktop\Mapi_backup_dll (if it
> exists, that is :).

No key; I even did a registry search.

Then it should no longer replace the file. I'm not
> sure why the registry entry might be there, just check if it is and
> report back? Normally it should only exist when a very old IE version
> (<5.5 as far as I know) was once installed, which can normally not be
> the case on Windows XP.
>
> Frank

I should note that I have both 1.1.16 and 2.0a3 installed on that box.

Probably the easiest would be for one of the WinXP users here to install
the WindowsSearch:
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/choose/windowssearch4.mspx?tab=Install_it>
I reinstalled and as soon as I did, the error popped up - didn't even
have to reboot.