Garrett Czmor wrote:

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
Garrett Czmor wrote:

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
Garrett Czmor wrote:

I think I found two:

XFX1SHYS.slt C:\documents and settings\administrator\application data\mozilla\profiles\default 11/23/08

Y6hfjqyz.slt c:\documents and settings\administrator\application data\ mozilla\profiles\Default User 4/21/09

fantastic, now we're getting somewhere. It looks like you have 2 profiles, and yet, the SM Profile manager isn't seeing the other.

So, close SM, and make sure its closed by looking in the task manager [ctrl+alt+del]. If you see SM in the Process tab, then end it. I'll explain about this below.

Once SM is closed, click on the windows start button, then run and enter:

seamonkey.exe -p

this will bring up the SM profile manager. From there, create a new profile and call it:

default

exactly as I have it. Don't call it Default or it might not work. Now, you should see a button called Choose Folder. Click on that, and point it to:

C:\documents and settings\administrator\application data\mozilla\profiles\default

and don't go any further. SM Should now pick up that profile and you can start using it. Start SM using that profile. Do you see your old mail, bookmarks, etc?

Something else you might want to know. I clicked off the internet and had just my desktop screen running when I got this message. "Seamonkey encountered a problem and needs to close". It was already closed? Another box showed "Seamonkey.exe APPNAME: Seamonkey.exe APPVER 1.8.20090.40306 MODNAME:jsd3250.dll OFFSET:00002177

Basically SeaMonkey works and I can get my mail (might have a Verizon problem) but it still crahes once in a while.

sometimes when you close SM, its still running in the background eventhough you can't see it. You can check by looking in the task manager and see if its there. Some of the common causes of this is because you're still streaming audio or video and that part of SM plugins needs to close first before SM officially closes. Sometimes this can take a long time. For others, like me, its only a few seconds. Other causes is a bad addon/extension, a poorly writing java applet, and a few others. In your case its jsd3250.dll. I have no idea what this is or what to do about it. From what I can find, it seems to happen for those using Yahoo Mail, and you need an updated firebug: http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?locale=en-US&forumId=1&comments_parentId=26115

If you don't have this addon, then I would hesitate in adding it.

OK, I did exactly everything you said to the letter. What I got was a brand new SeaMonkey asking me to set up a email account etc.(with the SeaMonkey welcome page) My book marks are gone too. I didn't check to see if my mail was there because it acts like I'm a new user again. In order to answer you now, I'm using the other "default user" profile which has everything. I'd say that trick didn't work.

look inside that 'default' profile. Any folders, mail, bookmarks.html, .s file [thats password], etc? Whats in that directory? Anything?

If there are some things, then with SM closed, for the mail, rename the inbox, sent, drafts to inbox-1, sent-1, or whatever you want. You only want to change the files without the .msf extension. Now, copy all the mail files [without the .msf files] and copy them to the other profile you use, and put them into the Local Folders of your main profile. Now, open SM. SM should have picked up those files. Did they?

If there is a bookmarks.html file, then from the browser, click on Bookmarks, Organize Bookmarks, then from the bookmark manager window, click on File, Open Bookmarks, and open that bookmarks.html file. Are all your bookmarks there?

OK now it's getting confusing. I looked in the "default" profile and found two dir. h2217q86.slt and xfx1shys.slt

The h2217q86.slt has a sub dir of chrome.rdf and also localstore.rdf, panels.rdf, bookmarks, mail views, prefs, history, mimetypes.rdf and search.rdf

The xfx1shys.slt has sub dir such as cache, news, chrome, mail, and a bunch of other files that include bookmarks,html

This is somewhat confusing to me because the two .slt files also have some of the same files within (such as mail and bookmarks). When I opened the mail folder (in the xfx1shys.slt) I see mail folder with Pennswoods.net address. This is very old (maybe 2 years or so), so I don't know if I should be copying files so old into the "default user" profile that I'm using now.

I didn't do anything but locate the files for you and figured I need to double check with you first before doing anything further. I hope after you see this, you can walk me through any changes ... just not sure these changes are good.

I have no idea what you did to get a profile within a profile. Thats confusing.

Just follow the instructions I gave previously. First, close SM.

Rename the various inboxes, sent, draft, etc, so you can tell them apart. Copy any mail files over to your current profile and stick them under Local Folders. This is the best place to put them. You can move them around afterwards. All the mail files are files without the extension .msf. If you see anything else like msgFilterRules.dat, popstate.dat, *.sbd files, or whatever other file you may come across. You might find files under other folders, so besure to look there, too. You just want the files without an extension.

As for your bookmarks, rename them to bookmarks-1.html, bookmarks-2.html and so forth, or use anything you want as long as it ends in .html. Create a directory on your hard drive called SeaMonkey bookmarks. Now copy those bookmarks there. You can use the bookmark manager to open them one at a time. Or import them if they look like something you need.

As for the password file [an 8 digit file that ends in .s such as 12345678.s], or any of the other files, just ignore those for now. Just get the mail files over and look at the bookmarks.

Now, reopen SM and look at the mail files. SM should have picked them up and they'd be under Local Folders.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm