Roger Fink wrote:
John Doue wrote:
Roger Fink wrote:
RF wrote:
Hiya SeaMonkies :-)

I have used TBird for many years and in that time for numerous
reasons I had to transfer the user data to the new installation and
it was the ultimate pain.

Now I am looking for something that is far less bloated, and still
secure and simple. Simple enough to be able to transfer all the user
data to a new installation of the program in less than about an

I'm told it is a combination of a browser and email reader. One
I absolutely require is emails in my computer - not on the ISPs
websites with all of their crap ads.

If you are the kind of user who gets into irreversible trouble with a
dedicated email application (and you've answered that question in
your posts on the Tbird board), IMO you really don't want to install
a single program that functions as three different applications,
because getting into trouble with a multi-purpose application means
uninstalling everything, at least in the absence of being able to
fix it.

Although I am a big fan of Seamonkey in its present versions, I second
Roger's answer to you.

Being able to fix minor problems - and you will get lots of help here
is critical. Believe me, transferring TB from one machine to the other
is very simple, provided you take the time to gather information and
carefully use it.

Transferring Seamonkey data to another machine requires basically the
same steps, so if you think Seamonkey will solve the problems you
encountered, think again.

The strong point of SM is combining a browser and an email program
one, as Netscape and Mozilla Suite did. Some prefer this approach,
some don't.

The latest version of SM (1.1.16) is for me ideal: it combines the
of use of TB and the (relative) simplicity of FF2 which I prefer by
to FF3's.

You can actually replicate the integrated feel of the SeaMonkey suite to a
significant degree merely by installing minimize-to-tray for the two
applications TB & FF, and a common theme such as Mostly Crystal. So if you
get into trouble with either one, well then what happens in Las Vegas stays
in Las Vegas. I actually go to the extreme of using a separate newsreader
program to REALLY keep my mistakes compartmentalized, but I believe under
the rules of posting here, I'm not allowed to mention what it is.

How does one install "minimize-to-tray"? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I did install Mostly Crystal and like it very much!

Greetings to all,

Charles Milton Ling
Vienna, Austria