G. R. Woodring wrote:
Then there are the sites, run by a large software/OS company, that sniff
to determine if you are using a rival browser and make sure the display
is just enough 'off' to make like unpleasant. That kind of thing is
just petty, and juvenile.
Date: 7/16/2009 12:21 PM, Author: David E. Ross Wrote:
On 7/15/2009 9:59 PM, Ant wrote:
On 7/15/2009 8:38 AM PT, David E. Ross typed:
I noticed lately Gizmodo's Web pages are rendering slowly and hogging
Web browser's CPU and memory badly.
on FF 220.127.116.11 / XP-SP2 that URL is a crapper... there is a script
and re-opened the URL.... it works properly that way for me.
Is anyone else having this problem? If so, then what's going on? Thank
you in advance. :)
Try disabling JS, see what happens your end!
I've seen Web pages with scripts that, when rendering of the page is
done, a script then downloads additional scripts from a server.
Sometimes it seems that one of the addtional scripts then downloads even
more scripts. Since I have a dial-up Internet connection, this really
slows things down.
The Web site for the Vanguard Group (mutual funds) is one such site. I
view account statements.
Did you ever e-mail the Web team over there? If so, then any luck? :(
There is also a problem with viewing parts of the Vanguard site with
SeaMonkey, caused by sniffing for "Firefox" and not "Gecko". See bug
#417955 at <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=417955>.
I sent E-mail to the Web team, I called them on the phone, and I sent a
postal letter to the CEO. They claim that the security of their Web
site requires that they test the site for any browser they allow to view
it. (After all, Vanguard is one of the two largest mutual fund groups
in the U.S.) They tested the site for Firefox but not for SeaMonkey.
They don't agree that "Gecko is Gecko". As for the delays caused by the
use of scripts that download more scripts, their response was that I
should use broadband service instead of dial-up.
As for the sniffing for "Firefox", I ran into the same problem with my
bank and my credit union. I "solved" the problem by creating a special
SeaMonkey profile where I am permanently spoofing Firefox. (The UA
string ends with "SeaMonkey/1.1.17 NOT Firefox/18.104.22.168".) To make
these sites work, I also had to set my preferences to accept all cookies
and all popups. I am careful not to browse any other sites from that
Someone should explain to the morons that browser sniffing has absolutely *NO*
security benefits. Opera has UA spoofing built in, all Mozilla products have UA
switcher extensions available but it can be without one, and even IE8 has a UA
picker that can spoof as Firefox, Netscape or even a cell phone. Sniffing for
the UA string is like saying that if you are clever enough to write "Employee"
on a 3x5 card and wear it on your lapel, you are free to enter and leave the
safe it will :-(
My company's website "requires" IE5.5+ or Netscape 7.1+. I set up a profile to
spoof as Netscape 7.2 and happily access the site with Minefield 3.6a :-)
support-seamonkey mailing list