Leonidas Jones wrote:
Phillip Jones wrote:
Mark Hansen wrote:
On 10/23/09 18:32, Phillip Jones wrote:
Developers never, ever, ever, ever listen to end users. The think
they no more how a program should look like than the users that have
to use it.

Good God, have you a bone to pick or something? I am a developer and I
certainly do listen to what end users want - they are my customers
after all!

Don't you think you might be over-generalizing here a bit?

Perhaps you're just having a bad moment?

No it seem with Mozilla when user are happy with function, it always
seems that that irritates the heck out of the developers. It seems if
users like it too much, its a target to be removed.

For example I've always thought Tabs was not what most users wanted,
because it was a gee-whiz-bang feature that was in IE. we had to have it.

The way I work I have no desire, nor no need to have 8 or ten tabs open
at one time. I look at one thing at a time. Although I've using personal
computers since the early. I just never id desire have pages filled up
with cached pages of multiple websites.

WE don't need to any shape of fashion need to be an IE clone. If we look
and, act so much like IE what's the point in trying out something
different if it all works and looks the same. I don't want to be even
reminded of IE , much less look like like it.
This modal thing is another example. OR, how about killing javascript,
in Thunderbird. There was a Feature in Communicator that was great, you
could check for dead links and then ask it to delete them. It never saw
the light of day in Mozilla. I could think of other things.

But developers keep think up things, possibly ask (not always), get
negative responses then put it in anyway.

One thing you have resisted the temptation of doing is using Active-X. I
salute you for that. Now That I have bragged on that, there probably
will be an announcement next month that Active-X will be built-in.
Active-X is the reason now for bout 98% of all the malware floating on
the internet. The other 2 percent is Phishing attempts. If Active-X was
killed dead, at least for a while Windows machines wouldn't need virus
and Malware detection programs.

Phillip, lets look at this. SeamMonkey is not Firefox. It is a volunteer effort. The developers *are* users.

Actually, I think that's true for Firefox as well, or at least I would hope so.

Still, with SeaMonkey, lets step back and remember that these people walked the extra mile, and kept the suite alive for us. Questioning the decisions is fine, developer bashing here is not really appropriate.

For what its worth, I like the current About:SeaMonkey behaior.

Lee

I'm not bashing any particular Developer in particular. Its just because they have they have that unique knowledge they tend to let it go to their head and Feel that normal users don't know what they want.

In the for pay community they have an excuse they design strictly for the Board of Directors and shareholders. The users are not in the equation. In open source community they should be beholden to the users. However because its open source most likely that have second jobs, and this a second job, and and self-aggrandizement is the pay off.

But I've spoken more than I should. I really was just going to post specifically about the SM RC candidates. Once the it goes Gold I will stay away from the Group.

mailto:pjon...@kimbanet.com