Phillip Jones wrote:
For example I've always thought Tabs was not what most users wanted,
because it was a gee-whiz-bang feature that was in IE. we had to have it.

1) Tabs were not in IE until very recently (IE7) while Mozilla has had them for ages (Opera was the first tabbed browser, though).

2) The vast majority of users love tabs, please accept that while you might be one of our users, you are not the majority and can't speak for them.

3) The majority of satisfied users doesn't speak out loudly, a part of the minority of unsatisfied ones does. It's hard to find out from a strange subsection like those doing lots of posts what the opinion of the general audience is.

4) As in any open source project, those who actually give time and work to the project have the most influence of what's happening. Nobody can change that, it's the very nature of how things work, and an increasing amount of people seems to be happier with that than with the alternatives.

5) Accept that you are not always in the majority or target audience group among users.

Robert Kaiser