Currently this points to a yahoo mail server issue and not to a SeaMonkey or Thunderbird problem.

Try setting mail.strictly_mime to true and see if it solves your problem.

FRG wrote:
On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 12:58:06 PM UTC-6, Jamie Lansford wrote:
On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 12:14:04 PM UTC-6, cmcadams wrote:
Thunderbird menus (as in the link) are different from SM, but I solved the 
problem of
switching to in 2.49.2 by the expedient of deleting

2.49.2 doesn't seem to like being required to use multiple smtp servers, any 
than switching default search engines.

As an experiment I reinstalled SM 2.48. End of problems. 2.48 has no problem 
through gmail's smtp without needing to delete anything. Or with sending through
Yahoo's smtp without producing spurious characters in the final result.

So I'll be using 2.48 at least until 2.49.3 arrives. This is sad!

Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:

cmcadams wrote:
This is interesting. As an experiment I changed my SM 2.49.2 default SMTP from to Then I tried repeating the example I tried
before with the same results. BUT...Seamonkey was NOT using Gmail's SMTP 
server, if
the box that pops up after you click Send is a true indication. It was still 

Either something's wrong or PEBKAC...


Lemuel Johnson wrote:
On 2/21/2018 2:20 AM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
If you can reproduce it file a bug. Might be in shared mail / news code with
Thunderbird so if you run this too try there also.


The problem occurs in both current TB and SM.  But ONLY if I send through the
ATT/Yahoo SMTP server.  The issue does not appear if I use my hosting company
(Bluehost) server.

This is bad.  The last time I went down this road it took MONTHS for them to 
acknowledge there was a problem.

They do not want people to use email clients.  They want to be able to inundate 
with ads in webmail.

Lem Johnson

I just tried to reinstall 2.48, but the problem persisted for me.

I am still on 2.48, and had to add gmail outgoing smtp info and delete the  Google sent me messages that (1) someone tried to access and 
I got an error message and to allow access to less secure apps and then when I 
allowed it (2) got another message that access for less secure apps has been 
turned on and telling me it will be easier to break into my account and I could 
undo the change and switch to apps made by google such as Gmail.  I am going to 
try to go back to 2.49.2 and see if they get over the insecurity issue, but 
regardless, it got rid of the random punctuation!!  Thanks to everyone and 
let's hope that 2.49.3 resolves the issue.

support-seamonkey mailing list

Reply via email to