On 10/18/2010 02:29 PM, Ray Jones wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 14:11 -0500, Ian Clarke wrote:
>
>> It would be really helpful if people could spend a little time to
>> understand what is being debated before they start ranting.
>
> Try again. I subscribed to this list last....May? I have received
> perhaps a half dozen messages since then until this last week. Suddenly
> I have 50 messages some dating back to June and July. The first message
> I received in the bunch was the straw poll on javascript. Since then I
> have carefully read every message I have received. There has been very
> little discussion as to why js is needed, or I am missing a bunch of
> messages, or the discussion seriously needs to be brought down to a
> level that I can understand. So don't tell me to understand before I
> start ranting if you are not part of the solution of helping me
> understand. Until I understand, my vote still stands at no.

When first joining a mailing list, it's generally good etiquette to
peruse the list archives prior to posting; not only to get a feel for
the community, but also to ensure your question or statement hasn't been
brought up in the past.

http://emu.freenetproject.org/pipermail/support/

As for the Javascript requirement...

I suggest switching 'require' for 'intelligently utilize'. I can see how
the use of Javascript and AJAX-type functionality can make the FProxy
experience much better; however, there is a lot to be said for
gracefully degrading to support user agents that are unwilling or unable
to execute javascript, such as Lynx, or possibly Curl. Likewise, since
this is still highly experimental software, there is at least a slight
probability of a bug or a maliciously crafted insert slipping a bit of
Javascript through the content filter, so having the option to disable
it completely (at the expense of a slower or less-featureful FProxy
experience) might be beneficial for those truly paranoid.

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo

Furry Peace! - http://wwww.fur.com/peace/