Okay...Nothing more inviting in a "discussion" than
all-encompassing, generally sweeping statements like the one
below.

Don't suppose anyone has ever calculated the proportions of road
tax expenditures to see how much went to bicycle paths, how much
went to pot holes and by-passes and how much went to tarmac and
terminals?

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing $7,000 from each trucker in the
US go to nothing but bike paths for an entire year - or just one
or two good transcontinental bike lanes on an existing highway so
those who long to travel by bicycle no longer have to be as
concerned with the numerous motor vehicle operators who can't
tell the difference and all too frequently could care less what
the difference is between a family of opossums and a half dozen
bicyclists.

Just a thought from someone who would still be riding ~500 miles
a week if they hadn't already been forced off the road ~20 times
in less than 2 years by ijuts who got their license out of a
Cracker Jack box.

Todd Swearingen

> Harmon,
> Having been involved in trucking for over 25 years, I believe
you
> have some serious misperceptions about trucking and truckers.
We
> would LOVE to see fuel taxes spent on highway repairs. The last
fuel
> increase was widely supported by truckers, in the mistaken
belief
> that it would be spent on highway repairs. It was not! It was
spent
> on paving bicycle paths and airport runways.
> The average truck(if there is such a thing) spends $7000/year
in
> road-use taxes. Now if we could only get it spent on roads,
instead
> of bicycle paths and airport runways and new city transit
buses, we
> could all be happier.
>
> Motie

> Biofuels list archives:
> http://archive.nnytech.net/
>
> Please do NOT send "unsubscribe" messages to the list
address.
> To unsubscribe, send an email to:

Service.