Motie,

You are again using a wide brush and water colors to paint
detailed gingerbread trim. The wide brush is all too encompassing
and the water color paint doesn't hold up in all conditions.
Using one instance in whatever state you describe as the "Nanny
State" still leaves thousands of instances and 49 other states
unaddressed - not all of which are prone to sufficient snow pack
for two stroke tracks, of course.

 Broad strokes don't take into consideration the wear
differential between 18, 6 or even 4 hard driving, braking and
turning wheels under max legal road weights and high speeds and a
tandem carrying two persons subscribing to Weight Watchers with
fully loaded saddle bags.

Broad strokes don't address the differential acquisition,
construction and maintenance costs per mile to handle the same
passenger flow, or a thousand other tax based cost/benefit
"nuances" along each transportation corridor, no matter if it be
a bike path, interstate or air lane.

As for tax allocation, it sounds as if you're more in favor of a
user pays system, as you don't want transportation taxes
allocated to transportation sectors other than where they are
collected. Even when using such a schedule, a tractor-trailer is
going to put different burdens on infrastructure than a Yugo,
Cressida or Caprice. But the retort the public will always hear
is that "truckers are the backbone of America" and therefore
should be given a pass - even under a user pays system?

Funny...People who don't smoke pay taxes which buy life support
for enfasymics and canceritics. People who don't mainline pay
dearly for international and domestic drug control policies.
People who don't have children pay through the nose for schools,
teachers and administrators through elevated property taxes.

Frankly, I can hardly wait until the day when the true cost of
petroleum production is allocated strictly against the cost of a
gallon of petrol, as is largely done in Europe, rather than
through hidden taxation as is done here. No doubt transportation
industries will really cry foul then, having a strong go at
stirring up the public sentiment, using the traditional
"increased cost of goods" argument to rally support. And when
they succeed, as is often the case, those of us who consume
little fuel will continue to heavily subsidize the tax base for
those who consume considerably more.

So, Motie... I'm sorry. But you won't be seeing me joining you on
a soapbox until you can get a little more specific and until
those specifics begin to outweigh all the other injustices that
are getting painted over and ignored by broad brush strokes.

And you probably won't be seeing many tears in my eyes over
snowmobilers having their trails re-appropriated. Seven winters
in Alaska doesn't give me any great respect for the vast majority
of snow mobilers, any more than annual retreats to wilderness
areas give me a drop of respect for off road bycyclists who run
trekkers off the trails.

Besides, if you're talking equity or parity, the horse and buggy
industry had the same thing happen to all the trails they
originally broke. Now they have the luxury of 3,000 - 45,000
pound "sleds" come crashing through their back seats every time
they venture out on the very roads their "industry" once cleared.

Todd Swearingen