That's why people are upset; those in the know are even more upset.

I worked on a "Post Reconstruction Database" that would have served as a
blueprint for what to do after the war.
The Bush Admin. told us point-blank to stuff it. Did not want to hear
it, did not want hear about it.

THE CURRENT SITUATION IN IRAQ IS CONSCIOUSLY, WITH DELIBERATE
FORETHOUGHT, COMPLETELY SELF-INFLICTED.

See: http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/entity.jsp?entity=scott_feil

    August 1, 2002

<http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/item.jsp?item=complete_timeline_of_the_2003_invasion_of_iraq_409>
    / Events Leading to Iraq Invasion

<http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/timeline.jsp?timeline=complete_timeline_of_the_2003_invasion_of_iraq>/

        A panel of experts on Iraq warns the Senate Foreign Relations Committee
that administering Iraq after the toppling of Saddam's government will
be expensive and difficult. The panel says that “there are no obvious
successors to Saddam Hussein and that the Bush administration should be
prepared to help install and protect a pro-American government if it
decides to topple him—a proposition, they added, that would be long and
expensive,” the New York Times reports. “Nearly all the experts argued
that setting up a stable, pro-Western government in Baghdad would
require a huge infusion of aid and a long term commitment of American
troops to maintain peace.” [New York Times, 8/2/02
<http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/archive/2002/nytimes080202.htm>]
Phebe Marr, a professor from the National Defense University who has
written prolifically on Iraq, tells the panel, “If the US is going to
take the responsibility for removing the current leadership, it should
assume that it cannot get the results it wants on the cheap.” Scott
Feil, a retired Army colonel who studies postwar reconstruction
programs, says that 75,000 troops will be needed in Iraq to stabilize
the country after Saddam is removed from power. He estimates that such a
deployment will cost in excess of $16 billion per year. After the first
12 months, the colonel says that the force could be reduced in number,
possibly to as low as 5,000, though this military presence would have to
be maintained for at least another five years. In contrast, Caspar W.
Weinberger, the secretary of defense under President Ronald Reagan
argues that the United States will not need to undertake a major effort
in rebuilding Iraq. [New York Times, 8/2/02