Jim Leonard wrote:
>Pedro Quaresma wrote:
>
> I read all the reviews/ads above, and I admit if I'd base my opinion on
> this game by these reviews, I'd agree with you (I did buy the game,
didn't
> I? :)).
>
>They were all reviews, not ads.  I also was GIVEN the game by someone who
>finished it twice and said he loved it both times.

Jim, that doesn't mean a thing. I know there are lots of people out there
that liked the game.

> But believe me, it just doesn't cut it, for all the reasons I mentioned.
> can give you a direct comparison to other CRPGs, if you like.
>
>Please do!  But privately, as I think this is going outside of the scope
of
>this mailing list.

Sure, I will. Let me think of some arguments first ;)

> >So, tell me again why you think it's not a good game?
>
> If I find you 5 ads/reviews saying that MacD*nalds is the greatest food
> that was ever created would you go out and praise its qualities? =)
>
>I wasn't praising it, I was questioning your 100% put-down of the game.

I admit I may be behaving too harshly, but for CRPG fans like me, reading
someone saying "it's the best RPG ever!" makes me want to scream! :)

>It's
>not a bad game; rather, it sounds like you had particular expectations for
it
>that it didn't meet.

I did, with all that hype. Specially with BG1, and it did dissapoint me.
Nevertheless, it was somewhat better as far as linearity and plot goes than
BG2.

>RPGamers and AdventureGamers seem to have very specific attributes of what
an
>RPG should or shouldn't be, and can get very critical of games that don't
meet
>their vision.

Isn't it logical? I've heard lots of people saying "King's Quest 6 (or
Monkey Island 4) is the best Adventure ever!". I'm guessing real Adventure
fans (Chris? Help me here?) are appaled at these statements.

>  Because Baulder's Gate had less puzzles and storyline than you
>would have liked, it's a horrible terrible game and nobody should ever
play
>it?

I didn't say horrible, did I? If I did, I apologize. It's a pretty regular
game, but that's it. Average.

>Don't you think you're being a bit too harsh?  Please note that I am not
>praising the game, nor have I ever praised it because I haven't played it.
I'm
>just questioning your damnation of a game that doesn't seem to deserve it.

I know personally quite a few RPG/CRPG fans. Some like Ultimas, some like
Might & Magic, some prefer more recent stuff like Fallout (or even Diablo
2, which could bring a whole different topic :)). None of them has become a
Baldur's Gate fan because they know they can play better "strategic" (I
mean, non-arcade-ish) RPGs.

Let's continue this privately then.

Pedro R. Quaresma
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]