Pedro Quaresma wrote:

> No, but the fact that they don't have neat payoffs don't make them "bad
> games". And we were discussing "bad games".

All I was saying was that I was incredibly let down.  I almost wished I had
never finished it.

> It was released on a very important period for 90degrees 1st person
> perspective RPGs. Everyone was waiting for a worthy sequel to Dungeon
> Master.

I didn't consider it a sequel; I think Lands of Lore is better considered a
sequel -- a true advance of the genre.  Just my opinion.

> >I understand the first 2, but Baldur's Gate 2 is a great game...?
>
> Oh, no it's not. I'm sorry, I just can't agree. As I mentioned once, I've
> played around 200 RPGs in my life, and through some direct comparison, I've
> seen nothing special about Baldur's Gate 2 but the graphics (which are
> indeed beautiful), but that doesn't matter as far as a RPG is concerned.
>
> The storyline and plot are terrible, the interface is average, the combat
> system not even that. No puzzles or riddles at all, mostly just fight,
> fight, fight. To make things worse, the game is a lot more linear than its
> predecessor.
>
> Why is it a great game? Because it sold well? Because many people say "It's
> brilliant, look at those graphics! and those visual effects! and that
> sound!" ?

No, because most things I read said the opposite:

"A variety of treasures (spells and items), an easy character creation, and a
lot of possible quests and errands (which change after restarting the game,
with appr. eight possible paths) make this game replayable and fun."

"Classic role playing at its very best...the whole presentation is very clean."

"There are dozens and dozens of things to do in the game, so many that at some
points you may feel swamped! That is a Good Thing(tm) though, as you never EVER
have a shortage of quests."

"It's an enormous game that lets you do a lot of different things, yet it's
surprisingly easy to keep track of your main objectives. This is possible
partly because of a well-implemented map feature. You'll refer to the automap
often, because its miniaturized depiction of each of the game's hundreds of big
areas clearly notes the various landmarks you've encountered, such as important
structures, exit paths, and more."

"Baldur's Gate II does a great job of keeping you from getting too lost or
bewildered in your search, partly through the map, but mostly because of the
well-designed quests. There are seemingly countless quests in Baldur's Gate II,
and amazingly, most of them are very substantial. You'll almost never encounter
a situation so simple as having to retrieve lost property or clear out some
small monster infestation somewhere - there's always more to it than that.
Also, since your character has already earned himself some notoriety based on
the events in Baldur's Gate, it's understandable that rather than having to pry
information out of everyone you meet, oftentimes it's you who'll be approached
and asked for help. And just as often, as you're working on solving a
particular quest, you'll end up discovering more than you expected and will
take on other quests as a result. All this makes the pacing in Baldur's Gate II
very fluid."

"The game has a great story, good dialogue, highly sophisticated combat,
meaningful decision-making, memorable characters, and plenty of replay value.
It's a definitive role-playing experience, and the only reason it can't be
called the best game in its class is because in a sense there's nothing
available that compares to it."

So, tell me again why you think it's not a good game?
--
http://www.MobyGames.com/
The world's most comprehensive gaming database project.