Jerome Jacobsen wrote:

What does Javadoc document? Java. I think it is too much to ask most page
designers to understand JavaBeans which means understanding Java types
(primitive, wrappers, Collections, Maps). And then they'd need to
understand this Expression Language and its type conversion/coercion rules.
Not to mention understanding JSP/servlet scopes and visibility. I agree
that making the page script free is a good step, however "programming" with
XML syntax tags as opposed to scripts is still programming. To a degree
they still need to understand the run-time context that they are programming
in and things like whether <c:set var='beanA' value='${beanB}'/> does a deep
copy of beanB or just creates a reference.

I think the suggestion that Web developers are solely responsible for all JSPs in overly dogmatic. I have been quite successful in situations where Web Developers are completely responsible for all pages that don't contain forms. For the ones that do, typically about 20% of the site, a more collaborative approach is required. The form rendering etc. is still handled by the web developers but the first cut, including anything in the header to actually handle the request is written by a Java programmer.
I do not know of a case where a web developer has used a <c:set or <c:catch tag. Likewise, we have never seen them run into any problems with Java types. "There is a thing called a that has something called b" has been adequate up to now. If they need to do a complicated conditional we would either have a programmer write it or make a custom tag.

IMHO: The whole reason for the JSTL was to create a standard. Using XML tools to hide it seems counterproductive.

Regards, Evan

--
Evan Schnell, Technical Lead
nVISIA, Twin Cities "Digital Architecture and Construction"