Hello-

Forgive my comments as they are not technical.  Just observations I have made on a few
projects over the past couple months.

Since there are very few java programmers who are designers, and vice versa - there
must be a comfortable zone where designers/developers can integrate their works
without battles.  I have found that there is little place for a WYSIWYG design team
outside of prototyping, this becomes even more evident as applications evolve.  In a
recent project we migrated JSP 1.1 code and old ratty HTML code to jsp1.2/struts, with
XHTML and CSS-P on the client side.  I have found that having good designers that
write good XHTML code and use CSS have the foundation to understand the MVC approach -
After all they are doing the same thing with the style and layout that java developers
try to do with the model, view and controller.

All the java developers I work with understand the view layer, and all the designers
understand how the model and controller fits into their design.  I think XHTML helps
out a lot. And I have seen it.  I sit on both sides of the fence; I do some view
design but mostly backend.  Some days I am in Jdeveloper some days I am in dreamweaver
validating XHTML pages.  I have a lot of people like me on my team and it just works.

If you are stuck with crummy designers that don't get the backend at all, giving them
a set of tags to use won't help the situation.  Educating them will.  If they don't
want to learn, send them back to the marketing department to work on the new web
designers business cards.  Just because their designers doesn't mean they shouldn't
understand the backend, and vice versa.

Sorry for the long message.

-chris