Hi Marck D. Pearlstone,

On Montag, 25. Oktober 1999 at 23:59:41 you wrote:

MDP> On 25 October 1999 at 20:56, [EMAIL PROTECTED] told the list:

MDP> How  is  the  internal  paragraph  formatting  logic  supposed to
MDP> distinguish   between  your  intentional  newline  and  the  ones
MDP> elsewhere  separating  the different lines of the same paragraph?
MDP> The  constraint  is  in  the permissible ASCII content formatting
MDP> capabilities of mail / plain text type data.

Sorry,  I'd  have  no  problem doing that. One possibility is what you
just  mentioned  above. If the editor inserted, say, a CR/LF pair when
the user presses Return, it could easily use a single CR to mark those
lines  that were formatted automatically. Also, they should be using a
multi-byte  charset,  there's  enough space in there to use some magic
sequence as a mark.

> Now,  if the guys at RIT wanted to make final formatting a function of
> transmission  and  work  using  display  time  wrapping  of continuous
> strings  then they might be able to do something about it, but I would
> suggest  that IMHO would represent a major rework of some of TB!s core
> text handling components.

IMHO,  the  a-f  function  is  just  that, a function for display time
wrapping  of  continuous  strings.  The  simple  function  "justify on
autowrap"  wasn't, but as a-f does the formatting all the time, it has
to deal with the problem.

Anyway,  this  discussion  arose when someone said he's not happy with
the  way  the  function  works.  I'm not happy with it, because it's a
great  function  i'd  really like to use, but the time I don't use now
for  reformatting  paragraphs,  I  use to reformat those I didn't ever
want  formatted. It's not just the single/double CR problem, it's also
that  formatting  is  done  just  about always. It even does it when I
insert some preformatted text from the clipboard!

Well, as someone also pointed out, it's a first try at a new function.
Maybe it will become better.

Oliver Sturm

--
Oliver Sturm / <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Key ID: 71D86996
Fingerprint: 8085 5C52 60B8 EFBD DAD0  78B8 CE7F 38D7 71D8 6996