On 26 October 1999 at 18:43, [EMAIL PROTECTED] told the list:

OS> Sorry, I'd have no problem doing that. One possibility is what you
OS> just  mentioned  above.  If the editor inserted, say, a CR/LF pair
OS> when  the  user presses Return, it could easily use a single CR to
OS> mark those lines that were formatted automatically.

This  only  works  if the single CRs are converted back to CR/LF pairs
before  transmission.  It doesn't help distinguish paragraphs that are
in quoted text. It doesn't really change very much at all.

OS> Also, they should be using a multi-byte charset, there's enough
OS> space in there to use some magic sequence as a mark.

There  maybe  but it means TB users will be able to send mail to other
TB!  users  ... again, unless the mail is stripped of special encoding
before transmission.

OS> IMHO,  the  a-f function is just that, a function for display time
OS> wrapping of continuous strings.

I  think  not. IMHO It is a function to move the location of the CR/LF
pair within the paragraph of message text in memory so that when lines
are shown on-screen and (more importantly) *when sent* at the position
you  see.  The  display  function  doesn't wrap - it shows the already
wrapped text.

OS> The simple function "justify on autowrap" wasn't, but as a-f does
OS> the formatting all the time, it has to deal with the problem.

Basic flawed assumption compounding error going on here, IMHO.

OS> Anyway, this discussion arose when someone said he's not happy
OS> with the way the function works.

It  arose when I saw a clear definition of a specific fault within a-f
(as  opposed  to  a  "not happy" feeling) which I reported as a bug. I
also provided a suggested fix from a software engineering perspective.
I  copied  the  bug report to this list for discussion and this is the
discussion that has arisen.

OS> Well,  as  someone  also  pointed  out,  it's a first try at a new
OS> function. Maybe it will become better.

... but not without reports of specific faults.

I  have  noticed  that  whenever  I  have reported a specific bug to a
software  manufacturer,  it  has  been  fixed  in  about 99% of cases.
Whenever  I  have  suggested  an  enhancement  to  functionality or an
improvement  in  a  feature  I  have been pretty regularly ignored ...
although not always completely ;-).

Before  anyone  asks,  I have to quickly add that I have never found a
way of successfully reporting a bug to M$. :-9

Cheers,
Marck
--
Marck D. Pearlstone, Consultant Software Engineer
Co-moderator TBUDL / TBBETA discussion lists