Hi Marck D. Pearlstone,

On Dienstag, 26. Oktober 1999 at 23:37:08 you wrote:

MDP> On 26 October 1999 at 18:43, [EMAIL PROTECTED] told the list:

OS>> Sorry, I'd have no problem doing that. One possibility is what you
OS>> just  mentioned  above.  If the editor inserted, say, a CR/LF pair
OS>> when  the  user presses Return, it could easily use a single CR to
OS>> mark those lines that were formatted automatically.

MDP> This  only  works  if the single CRs are converted back to CR/LF pairs
MDP> before  transmission.  It doesn't help distinguish paragraphs that are
MDP> in quoted text. It doesn't really change very much at all.

So,  why  shouldn't  I convert the single CRs back to CR/LF pairs when
sending the mail? Anyway, any mailer has to be able to handle types of
CR  marks,  as  every  unix mail system in the world will only send CR
anyway.

OS>> Also, they should be using a multi-byte charset, there's enough
OS>> space in there to use some magic sequence as a mark.

MDP> There  maybe  but it means TB users will be able to send mail to other
MDP> TB!  users  ... again, unless the mail is stripped of special encoding
MDP> before transmission.

Exactly.

OS>> IMHO,  the  a-f function is just that, a function for display time
OS>> wrapping of continuous strings.

MDP> I  think  not. IMHO It is a function to move the location of the CR/LF
MDP> pair within the paragraph of message text in memory so that when lines
MDP> are shown on-screen and (more importantly) *when sent* at the position
MDP> you  see.  The  display  function  doesn't wrap - it shows the already
MDP> wrapped text.

I  don't  care  at  all,  really.  Even  if  I repeat myself: I want a
function  to  auto-format  the  text  I  type.  Without doing anything
harmful to the text I didn't write (like in quotations) or the text in
any  other paragraphs apart from the one I'm typing right now. How the
programmer  does that... I couldn't care less. But, being a programmer
myself, I can tell it's way from difficult.

OS>> Anyway,  this  discussion  arose when someone said he's not happy
OS>> with the way the function works.

MDP> It  arose when I saw a clear definition of a specific fault within a-f
MDP> (as  opposed  to  a  "not happy" feeling) which I reported as a bug. I
MDP> also provided a suggested fix from a software engineering perspective.
MDP> I  copied  the  bug report to this list for discussion and this is the
MDP> discussion that has arisen.

I  posted  a bug report about that myself, also copied to the list. To
me,  the  bug  is  simply that the text in my message, be it quoted or
not,  has  it's format destroyed more often than not. The a-f function
also  works  in  places it has no business doing so, like when I paste
text. Sure, I can temporarily switch it off when typing some text that
should  not  get  formatted,  but  a single correction in an otherwise
left-bound paragraph will give me a lot of work to do. I can use undo,
but that's no pleasure, either, because the different steps the editor
takes to format the text are undone separately. There's no way, as you
can  see  in  the current paragraph, to start a new line. If I was the
programmer,  I'd  have  to  deal with people saying "nice feature, but
very badly thought out".

OS>> Well,  as  someone  also  pointed  out,  it's a first try at a new
OS>> function. Maybe it will become better.

MDP> ... but not without reports of specific faults.

Well, what else can I do?

MDP> I  have  noticed  that  whenever  I  have reported a specific bug to a
MDP> software  manufacturer,  it  has  been  fixed  in  about 99% of cases.
MDP> Whenever  I  have  suggested  an  enhancement  to  functionality or an
MDP> improvement  in  a  feature  I  have been pretty regularly ignored ...
MDP> although not always completely ;-).

Making  a  function  work in the way it should have from the start has
nothing  to  do  with  enhancing  anything. A bug is not only a single
point you can lay your hand on and say "this is what has to be done to
fix  it",  but  it's  also  failure in concept or implementation. IMO,
that's exactly the point about a-f.

Anyway,  about reporting bugs... I have done so several times with The
Bat!, but I'm not too happy with the reaction.

1) There  has  never  been any answer from anyone who would have been
   recognizable  as a developer. There's no public list of known bugs.
   I  have  no  way  at all to know if my bug report reached anyone at
   all.
2) Many bugs I reported have never been fixed by now, AFAIK. I've not
   been  on this list for years, but it's half a year since I reported
   some  things that are still not fixed, although they are not _that_
   hard:
   - Ctrl-Backspace still doesn't work across newlines.
   - Ctrl-A  to select all doesn't work when viewing threads. It only
     selects  the thread top nodes, not _all_. Maybe someone will tell
     me it's a feature, but I still have no idea what to use that for.
   - Viewing  threads  is  still  not  good. I've never before used a
     mailer  that  had four different methods to create threads, but
     I've  used  several  that  combined  those  methods  to  provide
     consistent threads.

Pardon me for ranting.

Oliver Sturm

--
Oliver Sturm / <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Key ID: 71D86996
Fingerprint: 8085 5C52 60B8 EFBD DAD0  78B8 CE7F 38D7 71D8 6996