Hello Spike!

On Tuesday, January 21, 2003, 8:16 AM, you wrote:

S> 8< Snipped a bunch....

MB>> ... this [Senior-Newbies] is a very nice list. ...

< snipped a bunch more ... >

MB>> ... Hardly any of them have heard of The Bat! however. :) ...

S> You must take this opportunity to edu-ma-cate them Mary!  Just
S> think, you can be the 'ambassador of proper netiquette' on that
S> list and make a new crop of better informed users! ;-)  Work with
S> the moderator by stating the reasons why it is important (from an
S> organizational standpoint) to conform to established protocols.

I think the moderator is truly already doing an excellent job of that.
The list is about 2 years old. Rootsweb called it to everyone's
attention (including mine) in a newsletter last week, and suddenly it
had 171 new subscribers.

The policy is extreme tolerance with newbies. Explain, but let them
make their mistakes over and over without being scolded. There's a lot
of knowledge and skill being dispensed and information offered,
including advice about "Netiquette," aside from my posts.

Just about *everyone* there responded to my query on my missing "Reply
to" with, hit Reply All. None of them seem to mind getting duplicate
messages. :) I don't think I want to get into a discussion with the
moderator on her List settings at this point. The level of experience,
even with her, is, I think, Outlook Express.

Good teaching goes from the known to the unknown? I think I'd better
go slow. But I do mean to evangelize for The Bat! There is only one
other The Bat! user on Senior-Newbie.

S> You had to know there was a (hidden) reason why you joined that
S> list!

I hoped to learn something! And help where I could, of course. The
people on Senior-Newbie-L tend to be my age, and their chief interest
in the computer seems to be to learn to use it for doing genealogy.

Mary

The Bat! 1.61 on Windows XP 5.1 2600 Service Pack 1