Hi Bruno,

@4-Feb-2003, 09:06 -0500 (14:06 UK time) Bruno Fernandes [BF] in
[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>> In which case you are talking about PGP/MIME. Either way, you're
>> not talking about MIME, which TB handles perfectly

BF> Umm, in all honesty, are you trying to split hairs or just
BF> obfuscate the intentions of the original poster?

Neither. I am trying to separate apples from pairs.

BF> MIME is MIME.

Yes. And MIME digests are *not* MIME. And S/MIME is *not* MIME. And
PGP/MIME is *not* MIME. These three are implementations that employ
MIME to achieve a specific end. They are not inferred by the topic
"MIME". This is not pedantry nor is it hair splitting.

BF> I don't think the focus should be on TB's ability to handle
BF> certain MIME types, but rather its presentation of disposition.

Not so. PGP/MIME is not S/MIME. Both employ MIME encoding to achieve
an objective. Neither are simply "MIME". TB's MIME implementation is
one thing. Its S/MIME implementation has only the letters M-I-M-E in
common with MIME itself. Its PGP/MIME is non-existent - it doesn't
support or handle it at all. This does not relate to MIME handling.
None of these relate to MIME digest handling, which is a fourth
separate issue. This is not hair splitting but very important
differences between four very different and separate topics. "MIME"
can refer to any of the four issues. You have chosen MIME digests as
your soapbox. It seems that it was the original topic too. That was
not clear in the least, especially when the second response included
the word "Encryption" instead of "Encoding", which is what must have
been intended by the later responses. This was not clear until much
later.

BF> And taste is all just a matter of taste to some degree.

I wasn't discussing taste. I was trying to pinpoint exactly what the
topic of conversation was.

 ... <snip>

>> ... and TB handles MIME digests very well indeed. Open any one of
>> the attached messages and TB opens a virtual folder containing
>> *all* of them.

BF> How is that handling "very well?" Maybe for you. I believe one
BF> of the points made in the beginning was that TB treated all MIME
BF> parts as attachments, even when they were not.

Erm ... not true. A MIME part is *always* a MIME attachment. It has
a header block and a separation from the body of the message. Some
MUAs ignore this. TB doesn't. I like it that way (yes, a matter of
tast for sure). Not all do, I accept that. But that wasn't my point.
The question was vague. People were answering from all over the
range of permutations of what context the word "MIME" might be being
used in.

 ... <snip>

BF> In the preview pane I'd like to see the whole digest for
BF> instance, with each message separated by a visual marker of some
BF> sort.

I wouldn't. It's less easy to pick out a single message to reply to
like that, unlike the virtual folder MIME digest that TB uses. If
you want a message stream, don't subscribe to a MIME digest, get a
plain text one <shrug>. This method would also break TB's preview
paradigm where the body of the message is all that appears in the
preview pane while other parts are shown as either tabs or as
attachment icons. Any other method would need special consideration
and would very likely add confusion - the preview pane suddenly
shows something other than a message body? No thanks!

BF> Look at Agent to see how this is handled very cleanly - it also
BF> does the bursting. That gives people "choice" and is one of the
BF> things that might prevent someone from claiming TB doesn't
BF> support MIME.

I recommend the response to this subject in the reply from Dave
Crocker [EMAIL PROTECTED]">mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED].

>> Until you open the digest, it is nothing but a carrier for the
>> encapsulated messages. IMO TB behaves correctly here.

BF> Well, any message is just a carrier for your encapsulated text,
BF> isn't it?  Yet your text appears in the preview pane, right?
BF> Your comment makes it sound like the digest parts are somehow
BF> encoded and not plain text.

But they are encoded - as separate messages, each of which can be
separately replied to and handled if wanted. The text that appears
in the preview pane is the message body. Always. Nothing else
appears in the preview pane. I say don't let anything else in there
.. it will only confuse. Maybe Stef can come up with something that
will satisfy - who knows? I can't think of something that fits the
TB methodology. That doesn't mean it can't be done I suppose. I
don't think I'd like it though.

BF> TB could just as easily show all the messages within the preview
BF> pane one after the other (along with showing them on the left
BF> which I like as well - even though manipulation of those
BF> messages is completely non-standard (try dragging one into
BF> another folder).

TB doesn't support dragging attachments into itself. You can drag
the messages from the message list in the digest virtual folder
though. Have you tried it? Works brilliantly.

BF> As I have been finding around both this list and TBBETA lately,
BF> so much comes down to semantics.

Not really. Not in this case.

BF> It's nice to educate someone on the use of the program and point
BF> out ways to get around problems.

Yes, but that's *exactly* the purpose of this list. Did you read the
mission statement?

,-----=[ TBUDL's purpose ]=-----<
 The  TBUDL  list  has been set up for the purpose of discussing The
 Bat!  and  how to use it. It is a community of users ready and able
 to  help  new  users  get to grips with some of the capabilities of
 this  flexible  email  client. More complex issues are discussed on
 the TBTECH list (see below for details).
`----------------|

BF> but, if the program genuinely has a weakness, let's point it out
BF> for what it is and not try to hide these facts.

That obfuscates the purpose of this mailing list. It is merely
rhetoric and helps nobody. The developers, the only folks who can do
anything about it, don't participate here. TBBETA and the RITLabs
BugTraq wishlist is the forum for discussing ways to improve TB and
TBOT is the place to rant about how useless it is from a personal
viewpoint <g>. Here, we explain how to get the best out of what
there is.

BF> There's plenty of room for improvement with TB. If there wasn't
BF> then there would be no need for newer versions (in any stream,
BF> including 2.0+)

Quite right, and the best place to talk about such things is TBBETA.

- --
Cheers -- .\\arck D Pearlstone -- List moderator
TB! v1.63 Beta/5 on Windows 2000 5.0.2195 Service Pack 2
'