Steve-

SMS>           #2 I click on the little icon next to the to: field which
SMS>           opens up the addressbook (the screen reader has special
SMS>           commands which enable me to manipulate the mouse pointer to
SMS>           icons).

Make sure you've got the right icon. There are three next to the To:
field. The one farthest right is the one you want. I'm assuming you're
doing this right because the following step won't work otherwise.

SMS>           #3 I hit tab until I come to a listing of all addresses in
SMS>           my book.

SMS>           #4 As I arrow down the listing, all addresses are getting
SMS>           selected.  I tried hitting space on the specific people I
SMS>           want selected, but that didn't seem to do anything.  Also, I
SMS>           see that there is another list, but it's always empty.
SMS>           In addition, none of the buttons read with the screen reader, so
SMS>           I'm not sure what they are.

Pressing Tab once gets me to the right box. The pressing space when
I've selected the proper addressee adds that person to the recipient
box on the right. Not sure why the space bar trick isn't working for
you. A double-click should also add a recipient.

-Mark Wieder

 Using The Bat! v1.63 Beta/7 on Windows 2000 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 2