Colleagues,

all this thinking started by Charlie's initial posting, has led me to begin
building a simple TW utilising the Toulmin Argument Model for representing
links and associations between TW tiddlers. This is something I have been
planning to do for some time, now that I am 'retired' I have the time.

My reasoning is that a completed statement represents the context in which
the link between Ground and Claim can be made. This then also supports many
different reasons for creating an association between a set of Grounds and
Claims each one providing a single instance of context in which the
association is deemed valid.

My thoughts so far:
A statement can be considered like an IF...THEN statement but more
complicated due to the additional elements, Warrant, Backing, Rebuttal and
Qualifier. The IF part represents the Ground and the THEN part the Claim.

The Qualifier could be a percentage value or some other statement of
possibility/plausibility.

Not all elements need to be utilised in any statement, only those that make
sense for that particular statement.

Elements can be re-used between statements

Statements can be collected together into a domain of thought or
applicability. Thus a single TW could cater for many domains.

Each element is represented by its own tiddler and all tiddlers for a
statement are linked together to form the completed statement. Links are
stored as Field values in the statement tiddler and also in a Statement
field of each element tiddler as the links are essentially many-to-many in
ER terms.

Quandries:

How to handle content elements not text? Images, audio, video, etc...

How to produce an 'active' instance of the domain, ie. an instance that
functions follow some reasoning mechanism (ie. forward chaining...)

Shared TW:

http://turtlelane.com.au/Development/ToulminModel/toulmin.html

Happy to have your input/thoughts/etc.

bobj