For what it's worth, this is what happens for me:

The display URI is built from the path of the TiddlyWiki itself *and* the
path of the TiddlyWiki I'm importing from.

file:///F:/installers/TiddlyWiki/
W:/XAMPP/htdocs/sites/TiddlyWikis/secret-hq/add-ons.tw

(I never noticed this before, likely because I was always importing from
the same directory once I knew that cross-directory imports would fail.)

Just like you say, though, the import works fine — even though the
displayed URI appears mangled.

—

Likely unrelated/irrelevant, but — with some TiddlyWikis as the target, I
do get this error:

Unable to get property '1' of undefined or null reference.

After clicking "OK," I get the list of tiddlers and import proceeds fine.