I can respond to points 4-7. I concur with points 1-3.

4. In theory, if dozens of sites have some portion of the documentation,
then there will always be a backup copy somewhere.

5. Any active participant will need to post his TW federation on a public
host. So nothing on his/her hard drive will be endangered.

6. The twederation system involves a web site pulling (effectively
"browsing") another web-site. So no special security concerns should be
raised. It's just an automated method of browsing Site B from within your
own site A. Nothing gets saved to the original web-site except through
standard web-server technologies (e.g. store.php).

7. In theory, if all the technical difficulties of Twederation can be
hammered out, the mechanism itself would never need to be maintained
(unless there is a significant change to TW5 itself). In theory (I'm saying
that a lot) there is no central TW and anyone could take up the mantle and
continue to maintain documentation.

IN PRACTICE, issues 1-3 kind of override issues 4-7. You really need
someone(s) to organize stuff. Otherwise what you have is cluttered beyond
utility. You need an on-ramp to the Twederation system, or you have to go
hat-in-hand to someone who's already in the system to alert them to your
presence and desire to be part of the network. Pulling from dozens
(hundreds?) of sites is not practicable. So there needs to be one or 2
sites that have most of the documentation most of the time.

About pt. 5, most people do not run their own host, so almost everyone will
probably end up using tiddlyspot. Which begs the issue, if everyone is on
the same server anyway, why not have everyone on the same wikimedia site
where things can be organized?

The last time I was active in testing, there were concerns about versioning
(can you edit an existing tiddler, can anyone edit someone else's existing
tiddler)  and authentication (how do you know who really said what?) What
happens to older versions? There's not enough functional space in TW to
keep everything (that is, the more you keep, the slower it gets).

Twederation suffers from the same limitation as TW, which is that (unless
you're running node.js) when you open a TW up you have to  pull the entire
thing across the net. This means that as accumulated documentation hits 6
megs or so people are going to be experiencing serious lags. Pulling from
other Twederation sites will have the same kind of speed limitation. This
is why even though "hubs" aren't supposed to be part of a federation
system, they will probably be required for a practical Twederation approach.

Enough rambling,
HTH
Mark

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/883e9867-02e5-4777-a7dc-165d93745cbf%40googlegroups.com.