My experience with this is, I think, a little bit different than what
you describe.

It appears to me that each user of a white-listed site gets 20k
requests per hour, independent of any other users of that site or any
other uses of the twitter API at other sites by that user.

I didn't think this was what twitter intended and reported it as a bug
(See: http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/detail?id=617), but
the twitter folk said "Yup, working as intended".

After you log in at http://twxlate.com, the site reports rate limit
information on every page view, so you can see how this works there.

Comments expected and welcome.

Jim Renkel