I was always under the impression trademarks came down to a reasonable expectation that users could be confused as to which was the original name.

In the example of the "Edge" iPhone game, he was called out against using Edge as a name since there was a shady software development house that owned the mark in the gaming industry. There very well could have been confusion.

"Edge" can safely be used in other industry. If I started "Edge Clothing" I suspect there would be no confusion and no issue.

"Twitter" makes sense, their only presence being the web. A user who hears Twitter, downloads a Twitter app by searching for one in their mobile store, could easily walk away thinking that mobile app is Twitter. They could easily think they are at the source.

I don't see why they care, they care about service users. Alienate the 3rd part apps and Twitter is going back in time, not forward. It is the existance of this API that I believe made Twitter what it is.

But tweet, I don't know the history. Is it like hash tags, a user invented term for an action within the service?

To me, this is as if eBay tries to trademark "selling" because that is the verb describing what you do within the service. Tweet is the verb within the service, and likely was user crafted anyway.

All technical and legal issues aside, this boils down to just doing the right thing. Trademark Twitter, that seems fair and smart. There will be some fallout while protecting the name, but that is just part of the process.

Trademark "tweet", and you are doing the wrong thing. From podcasting, syncing, downloading, IM'ing, DM'ing, texting, etc. Just leave it alone.

They will do far better to allow the word to become more a household term, than to aggravate everyone.

--
Scott
Iphone says hello.