Twitter, you will have to create new rules and limits around these new
methods.

A new breed of spammy app is going to emerge that leverages
retweeting.

One where users can say, "Search for tweets that contain these
keywords, and automatically retweet them for me on my account."

So, you're going to get Twitter accounts that simply retweet tweets
from others to fill their timelines, or to interleave them with the
remainder of their tweets that all contain affiliate links.

Currently that is not so easy to do, because you have to massage the
tweet text, i.e., insert "RT " and chop some text off if that takes
the length beyond 140 characters, not chop off part of an URL if it's
at the end of the text, etc. With the new methods all that falls away,
because attribution is now given by the "retweeted by" in the source.
No text massaging is required.

How about: "You can only retweet tweets from those you follow." Just a
thought.

Dewald