On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Sean Coghlan wrote:

> Hello all listees, how would I tell what my engine is?

> How do I know if I have hydraulic lifters?  I've inherited a '76 with
> 84K & the engine's very strong & makes no clattering & hasnt' had a
> valve adjustment to my knowledge & according to paperwork in over 15K.

Sean,

When it was new, your bus had an engine that had solid lifters.  After 25
years, no matter what it says on the odometer, I would not trust it.

The way to tell for sure is to pull a lifter out and have a look at it.
Remove a valve cover, undo the nuts that hold the rocker shaft on, then
remove one  of the pushrods and its pushrod tube.  Then take a dibbler (a
magnet.... onna stick![1]) and pull the lifter out.  If it is solid, then
you have solid lifters.  If it has a number of bits, then you have
hydraulics.

The second best (and much easier) way to tell is to pop the valve covers
off one fine morning and have a look at the gaps.  Basically, check the
gap on all your valves.  If none of them have any gap, then you have
hydraulic lifters.  If any have *some* gap, then you have solids.

If you have solid lifters, 15,000 miles is far too long between valve
adjustments.  Look in the type2.com library or Muir or Bentley for the
procedure.

                           Steve Dolan

/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail