H Steven Dolan sends:

> The second best (and much easier) way to tell is to pop the valve covers
> off one fine morning and have a look at the gaps.  Basically, check the
> gap on all your valves.  If none of them have any gap, then you have
> hydraulic lifters.  If any have *some* gap, then you have solids.

That is, unless a PO didn't realize there were hydraulics in the engine, or
know there is a difference between a solid-lifter engine and a hydraulic-
lifter engine, and set the gap like it was a solid lifter engine. I have
seen people do this. "I set my valves to .006" like it says in Muir, and now
my engine runs like crap. Any ideas?" Yeah. Read the whole book.
--

--jmowreader
[EMAIL PROTECTED]