Bill Haskett said the following on 11:59 AM:
Brad:

This sounds like something you should submit to the B&B area of the U2 User Group website.

Bill

broadri...@comcast.net said the following on 10/12/2009 8:16 AM:
Wally, That's what I'm talking about!! Thanks for the update... Here's another one: temp files are very important in SQL. Another example of an improvement would be to get the SQL temp files to work outside of the old AE style SQL editor, in BASIC especially. Then, we could use one of most powerful features of UniSQL, which is dynamically created temp files. Then, we could do things like selects files, group them and summarize data and then select on the summary data. That would save hours of coding this kind of stuff!!! Example: SELECT CUSTOMER,ORDER,SUM(QTY),SUM(AMOUNT) FROM ORDERS TO CUST_SUM_TEMP; SELECT CUSTOMER,ORDER, QTY,AMOUNT FROM CUST_SUM_TEMP ORDER BY AMOUNT; Brad

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wally Terhune" <wterh...@rocketsoftware.com> To: "U2 Users List" <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org> Sent: Monday, October 12, 2009 10:19:29 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern Subject: [U2] UniData - BUILD.INDEX on large file - comment You shouldn't have any problem with TMP files exceeding 2gb with BUILD.INDEX at UniData 7.2 - assuming your TMP filesystem supports large files. I presume this was the problem Brad encountered. Prior to 7.2, you may have an issue if you PHANTOM the BUILD.INDEX command, or if you start a udt session, shell out of it (!sh), cd to another directory, start a new udt session and BUILD.INDEX there. Regards Ps - posted from Liverpool!

Wally Terhune U2 Support Architect Rocket Software 4700 S. Syracuse Street, Suite 400 **Denver, CO 80237 **USA Tel: +1.720.475.8055 Email: wterh...@rs.com Web: www.rocketsoftware.com/u2 -----Original Message----- From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org [mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of BraDav Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2009 10:27 AM To: U2 Users List Subject: Re: [U2] U2 is now Rocket U2 Charlie, I agree with you overall that U2 (Unidata and Universe) is the best there is for development and maintaining applications. The data model stands head and shoulders above the rest, when it comes to RAD. However, there could be many improvements to the dbs, above and "below the hood" so to speak. That being said, one of the benefits of the U2 architecture is that it "can" be improved. For example, I maintained a file with 80 million records, at one site. It has virtually no overflow and the record distribution was nearly perfect. Access to the file was very fast, but we couldn't create indexes on it, because the indexes ran out of space. That's just one example, but the list is long. However, that's a positive. With the right amount of R&D, U2 is positioned for another 20 year run. thanks, Brad