Why? Because it has almost no overhead, and has the most flexibility.

Can the 3 year old (assuming they understood the process) select items from one
file based on selection
   Then pull items from another file using a related ID and save that list.

Perform that again on two other files and save that list.

Merge those two, and then push that list into an application that emails a file

The above would take 2-3 min to do with telnet.

IT would take significantly longer to do with a GUI front end.

telnet is excellent for administration and development. Once you know what you
want, then you
can use the GUI to setup a nice interface for those that want to point and
click.

Why is DOS still on Windows? Because there are some things you just can't do
easily with windows,
Or without writing/buying an application.

George