We have UV doing everything on the BackEnd, we also have MSSQL Server to
Support Data Warehousing... Why 2 Databases Systems?
Cause UV Cant support Data Warehousing?
Doesn't this eventually introduce Disparate Systems?

> U2, for example, has support for Java connectivity, XML, and I believe
> they either have or are working on Web Services support

Its funny you say the above, UV/PICK Guys in our Team didn't even
understand
the basics of XML.. leave alone XPath, XQuery etc. These Technologies
are NATIVELY Supported in ORACLE/DB2 Etc.

e.g. We pull XML Reports from our Vendors Real Time. I have to parse
through the XML and give UV/PICK Guys a FLAT TEXT File... cause either
UV Cannot handle the storage and Retrival of XML Data Using XPath/XQuery
Techniques.

Yes, we use DataStage to pull data out of UV Into MSSQL SERVER... For
what?
Why cant UV handle of the DB Job?

As for Performance...UV Does NOT Perform Well in a OLTP Environment,
SIMPLE:
IF UV did Perform Well...Today's Fortune 500 would depend on UV and
UV/PICK
would have been in the TOP 3 OF DataBases.

Joe Eugene

On
> Behalf Of David T. Meeks
> Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 9:37 AM
> To: U2 Users Discussion List
> Subject: RE: Modern Universe - was: The lists are closing
>
> While one could make the argument that Pick has not embraced emerging
> technologies as rapidly as the 'Big Three', it HAS done so.
>
> U2, for example, has support for Java connectivity, XML, and I believe
> they
> either have or are working on Web Services support (I know, for
example,
> that
> the DSEngine in DataStage has support for Web Services).
>
> One could argue the need or purpose of supporting certain
technologies,
> and
> the level of support currently within the products, but to say that
there
> is
> "little/no" support is a bit uninformed.
>
> The U2 products ARE supported in certain "Integration" software.  I
> wouldn't
> typically consider SAP/PeopleSoft "integration" software.  They are
> Enterprise
> Software Suites, but not geared particularly at 'integration'.
>
> However, given that SAP and PeopleSoft OEM the DataStage product sets
> for both of their "integration" products (SAP's BW, PeopleSoft's EPM,
> JDEdwards stuff as well), and given DataStage works very well with
both U2
> products, this point is actually wrong.  People who have SAP or
PeopleSoft
> solutions CAN, very easily, integrate their U2 data to/from those
> environments.
>
> As to 'efficiency', one can measure that in a variety of different
> dimensions.
>  From a memory/disk space/footprint/administrative overhead
dimensions,
> the
> U2 database products are VERY efficient.
>
> Finally, as to being "slow", again this depends on the measurement
> criteria
> being used.  From the perspective of concurrent user access and the
> performance
> of application style DB usage (largely input/output, multiple
concurrent
> users, etc..),
> the U2 products stand up very well to the mainstream guys.  For
support of
> VLDB,
> highly transactional query-based usage models, and the like, it does
not.

> Trying to make the U2 products into what they are not is wrong.  They
are
> not the
> panacea for every database requirement.  However, for certain
problems,
> especially
> those for which it was designed (embedded database for application
> development),
> it is very efficient.
>
> Dave
>
> At 10:24 PM 3/28/2004 -0500, you wrote:
> >PICK is LEGACY Technology and does NOT Support alot of advanced
> >level computing we have today. I belive PICK is Similiar to Legacy
DB2
> >that used ISAM type of DataBases Access. Even IBM has moved DB2 (Now
UDB)
> >to a completly relational architecture.
> >
> >I belive some of the below are good reasons to Migrate to
> >MainStream (Top 3 - DB2/Oracle/MSSQL etc) Databases.
> >
> >1. UV has Little/NO support for Emerging
Technologies(XML/XQuery/XSLT/WML
> etc)
> >2. UV is Not supported in Most Integration Enterprise Software
> >(SAP/PeopleSoft)
> >3. UV is Not efficient compared to highly evolved
databases(DB2/Oracle)
> >4. UV Folks seem to use PICK, which is Not Compatible with many of
> >    of the Current Advanced Technologies and Techniques.
> >5. UV is very SLOW, TOO Procedural and Not the right tool for
> >     an OLTP Environment.
> >
> >It would be nice if IBM provided a Package to convert all UV Stuff to
> >IBM DB2 and perhaps provide some kinda code converter to convert
> >all pick stuff to DB2 Stored Procs or Java Native Compiled
Procedures.