<SNIP>

>BTW, the most extreme example of a multi-part primary key that I've ever
>seen was for a security monitoring client. It looked like this:
>
>ACCOUNT-RECEIVER-DATE-TIME-ZONE-SIGNAL-INCIDENTNUMBER

This key then corresponds to 7 dimensions, and the overall approach is classified as
"ROLAP" (see
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid13_gci214582,00.html)

The "fun" starts with ROLAP when you need a query that was, say,
ACCOUNT-RECEIVER-ZONE-DATE-TIME-SIGNAL-INCIDENTNUMBER or
DATE-TIME-ZONE-SIGNAL-INCIDENTNUMBER-ACCOUNT-RECEIVER, as these would correspond to
different key structures.

If my math memory serves me correctly, for you to be able to keep EVERY possible
combination you need to have 2^7 = 128 'summary' records for each source transaction.

Increase your dimensions to 14, and you end up with 16,384 - you had better have lots
of storage & time on your hands. Short of reducing the number of dimensions to a
subset of pre-defined views, one solution to this problem is MOLAP
(http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid13_gci882493,00.html) .... but
I fear I'm getting WAY to far OT here

---