Note quite ! I still believe that there are 10 types of people in the world - users
and developers !

So YOU, as a developer, would construct a cube with the 6 "key" fields that the user
is interested in. You also get to do things like define an "opening" view of the
information - AND also the query that is used to generate the cube (BTW, did I mention
that Visage has a drag'n'drop query facility :-)

A single cube design can be used with multiple queries - you save each of these as a
combination, which REALLY defines the cube - so you don't have to "remember" your
queries.

Neither you, nor the user, need to worry about "format" statements, as this
information will come directly from your dictionary (though there is an API that you
can use if your database does "naughty" [with the benefit of historical hindsight]
things).

Just as each of your existing reports was stored as a "program" which you only wrote
once (and modified/enhanced many times!), so with a data warehouse product (any/all of
them) you only have to define these things once, and you can make enhancements as
needed

Obviously YMMV, and OLAP/DW/BI cubes will not solve EVERY problem - but our experience
has been that they can certainly greatly enhance the user experience with what happens
next !

(If you are interested, point your browser @
http://www.stamina.com.au/Products/Visage/Visage_BIT.htm, download the whitepaper &
then "play" with the live demo. Left click on the "Department" at the top of the cube
and drag it to the right of "Expense" - you now have expenses by department. Left
click on "Department" again and drop on the left of "Expense" [near the margin] - you
now have a departmental expense analysis, and not a "query" in sight. It is this
"interactive" nature of a "cube" that adds value to the equation)

Ross Ferris
Stamina Software
Visage - an Evolution in Software Development

---