Now ours is not loaded up too heavily, only 12 clients.  We sell every speed we
offer which is up to 16 meg for home users.  Most of the clients on this tower
ore on our 5 or 8 meg package.  Looking at the graphs, this sector is hitting
25 meg frequently, but there is about 60-70 meg of channel available, we are
running in 20 MHz.  Prior to this, we could only sell people our $30-$50
packages and they complained about the speed.  I see our one last UBNT 900 top
out at 6-8 meg every night with about the same number of people on it.  We are
buying a couple of SM’s a month and when we get enough for all the customers
will do a quick change out of the tower and customers to the PMP gear.

Overall experience with the PMP 900 is really good.  We tried it in 10 MHz and
it worked great then thought why not try 20 MHz and it still did great.  We
have a lot of frequency hopping electric meters and gas wells in our area.  I
think placement is a big thing too.  I would not put this gear on a water tower
next to the major highway.  Not saying it would not work, but the if you can
see the horizon, then the frequency can hear the horizon.  We use this gear is
a bowl of hills and trees.  In fact we did not even mount it way above the
trees.  It is only 20 feet above the trees with down tilt.  Our furthest
customer through what we consider thick trees in north Texas is about ½ mile.
We do have some customers a little over a mile away as well that could not get
a clean LOS to the same tower.  The gear is a real learning experience and not
terribly friendly to work with.  That being said, if a customer calls in and is
experience issues, we do not even ask them to reboot the PMP SM.  We start with
their router and 95% of the time this resolves their issue.

Tommy Adams

Network Administrator

Digitex.com

817.558.6230 Voice