> > On Mar 14, 2011, at 8:48 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:
> > A few general thoughts/questions:
> > * what are the affiliations for the current set of active committers?

David Hutchins - Norfolk State Univ.
Andy Kurth - NCSU
Aaron Peeler - NCSU
Josh Thompson - NCSU

> > * the community has added one new committer in the 2 1/2 years in the
> >   incubator?

Yes - We've had several other people express interest, but haven't had anyone
else provide enough code or documentation contributions to be able to
adequately review them as new committers.

> > * in general, I've been encouraged by the increase in community activity
> >   (users and development) going on...

Agreed - I find this very encouraging and exciting.  Hopefully, it will lead
to more contributors.

> > * although I am encouraged, I am not entirely convinced that the
> >   community is ready for graduation...

This page lists the requirements to graduate:

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Minimum+Graduation+Requirements

Of those, we're good on the legal and infrastructure sections.  For
alignment/synergy, we're not using any other ASF projects.  I'm not really
sure why that is required.  There are several items under
meritocracy/community that we have not fulfilled:

* Demonstrate an active and diverse development community

We're definitely active, just not very diverse.

* The project is not highly dependent on any single contributor (there are at
least 3 legally independent committers and there is no single company or
entity that is vital to the success of the project)

This is the one I have seen as our biggest hurdle from the beginning of our
move to ASF.  Until David Hutchins was added as a committer, all committers
were legally related (employed by NCSU).  I think we will eventually get
there, but it may take a (possibly long) while.  I think it will take some of
the other universities that are adopting VCL to be willing to commit part of
an employee's time to development of VCL.

* Demonstrate ability to tolerate and resolve conflict within the community.

We haven't had much in the way of conflicts to address; so, this one may not
matter much.

* Engagement by the incubated community with the other ASF communities,
particularly infrastructure@

Any ideas on steps we can take toward fulfilling this one?

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu