On Sep 6, 2011, at 10:22 AM, James O'Dell wrote:

> On 9/4/2011 4:55 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 4, 2011, at 7:07 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>>
>>> It's been a while since we've had a graduation discussion.
>>>
>>> I've seen good progress in the community. Would be interested in hearing
>>> the thoughts of others. Do we feel the community is ready for graduation?
>>> Or is additional work required? If there are requirements to be met, what
>>> is being done to address these requirements? "incubation" is not a
>>> permanent process. If we're lacking aspects required for graduation and not
>>> making progressing on addressing these issues, we need to consider the
>>> alternative of ending the graduation process…
>>
>> I think that the community activity on this group is pretty good.  I wish
>> there were some diversity.  This project has most of it's members being NCSU
>> employees and I'l worried that if NCSU "pulled the plug" on their efforts
>> the project would not survive.
>>
>> As it stands the project would not have my support for graduation.   I'm not
>> intransigent on this and am willing to discuss other viewpoints, if there
>> are any.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Alan
>>

> I certainly see NCSU as the leader in VCL, and I do see their
> continued support as key to the success of the project.
> I'm just wondering if the project were to graduate(It certainly
> seems stable enough to), if that wouldn't generate more diversity
> via greater exposure.

Unfortunately the diversity must be there before it graduates.  We can't
graduate the polling and hope for the best, this is what the Incubator is all
about.

> As a point, our vice president of information technology is
> scheduled to give a presentation at EduCause this October.
> VCL is his the topic. I'm hoping this will generate some buzz.

I'm happy to wait until October to see if the rest of the project does as well.
 However, I think we face the fact that this project has been around for quite
a long time and has not attracted new committers.  Maybe the project could park
at GitHub, or somewhere, and if and when the it becomes diverse enough it could
come back; if it still wanted to.

Regards,
Alan