I concur with the thoughts on this. At Georgia State I am working with Computer Science (I am in IT) to build up some resources that can move toward contributor level. It is a somewhat "gradual" process, but I think we are moving in the right direction.

Would it be useful to consider listing a set of "known feature requests" so that we could use that as "Challenges" to computer science (students, post-docs...)?

I've thought of several, but not really sure how "important" they might be - other than being bite-sized items that would engage students, and get them started (i.e. develop code on our own devl system, pass up for review and perhaps incorporation, and so to eventually gain additional contributors.)

For instance:
a) Provide option on the VCL Statistics so that one can download resource management traces, e.g. to CSV file. Aaron Peeler was kind enough to send us a sql query (6/22/2011 email) he's used. My thought would be that students would use that as start and implement an option to download based on this (e.g. user selectable option). While the SQL Query is already done (Aaron) and the feature may be somewhat trivial, it could serve to get students involved.

b) A feature that Kelly Robinson asked about the other day (8/31/2011 email) "Block Allocation request. Can this be limited so that only those within a particular group (faculty) can make the request?" Mike Waldron's reply (8/31) was "I don't know a way to restrict this function to specific users. Looks like it would require a coding change for the frontend." That might be another feature of interest.

I know that Henry Schaffer has mentioned a feature's request list (way to manage image list for instance).

Is there a place where such features are listed?

thanks
Art