On Thursday September 08, 2011, Kevan Miller wrote:
> On Sep 4, 2011, at 7:55 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> > On Sep 4, 2011, at 7:07 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:
> >> It's been a while since we've had a graduation discussion.
> >>
> >> I've seen good progress in the community. Would be interested in hearing
> >> the thoughts of others. Do we feel the community is ready for
> >> graduation? Or is additional work required? If there are requirements
> >> to be met, what is being done to address these requirements?
> >> "incubation" is not a permanent process. If we're lacking aspects
> >> required for graduation and not making progressing on addressing these
> >> issues, we need to consider the alternative of ending the graduation
> >> process…
> >
> > I think that the community activity on this group is pretty good.  I wish
> > there were some diversity.  This project has most of it's members being
> > NCSU employees and I'l worried that if NCSU "pulled the plug" on their
> > efforts the project would not survive.
> >
> > As it stands the project would not have my support for graduation.   I'm
> > not intransigent on this and am willing to discuss other viewpoints, if
> > there are any.
>
> Thanks Alan. I think we're largely in agreement. I've been encouraged by
> the level of activity and discussions within the community.
>
> I share the diversity concern (it's my only concern, at the moment). Like
> you, I'd be reluctant to support graduation without some growth and
> additional participation in the community. Unfortunately, we've been in
> this state for a while and I'm worried that it isn't going to change
> anytime soon...
>
> --kevan

The diversity issue has been my concern since we moved the codebase to ASF.  I
do think the community will eventually grow enough to not be dependent on a
single institution's involvement.  It's just a really slow process to get
there.  VCL is a large system, and it's not something a developer would just
decide to jump in and start working on without having the infrastructure to
run it and a set of users to use it.

The community is slowly growing, first in users, and now in people
contributing smaller bits of code.  It's only a matter of time before the
people that are contributing smaller bits of code start contributing larger
stuff.  At that time, we'll have enough support to graduate.  To me, the only
question is, how long is ASF willing to wait for this to happen?  If that's
another year, maybe 2, then I think we'll make it.  If it's only a few more
months, then I'm not so sure.

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu