John,

The stateless parts are not actually black boxes.  They are gziped cpio files
and are typical linux initrd and root filesystem images.  You can do the
following to extract them:

mkdir /tmp/stateless
cd /tmp/stateless
mkdir initrd
mkdir rootimg
wget http://people.apache.org/~jfthomps/partimageng_xCAT2x/initrd.img
wget http://people.apache.org/~jfthomps/partimageng_xCAT2x/rootimg.gz
cd initrd
zcat ../initrd.img | cpio --extract
cd ../rootimg
zcat ../rootimg.gz | cpio --extract # if you do this last command as a non-
root user, you will get one error about not being able to create dev/null
which is okay to ignore unless you want to modify and recreate the image

You would actually need to go through this process if you have hardware that
is not supported in these images.  I only had the hardware at NCSU to develop
on; so, they don't have a very big range of hardware support.  If you decide
to go ahead with using this stuff for partimage and need support for different
hardware, I can guide you through adding it in to initrd and rootimg.

If you wanted to modify and recreate the images after doing the above, you
would do the following:

cd /tmp/stateless/initrd
find . | cpio -oc | gzip -c -9 > ../initrd-new.img
cd /tmp/stateless/rootimg
find . | cpio -oc | gzip -c -9 > ../rootimg-new.gz

The two images really don't do much.  Most of the work is done by the
partimageng postscript.  They really just provide a small install of linux on
which the other stuff can run.

As long as NCSU is using bare metal images, we'll still need a way to use xCAT
and partimage to deploy images, and I don't see us moving completely away from
bare metal images for many years.

I have been told that more recent versions of xCAT 2 do have partimage
support, but that you have to download that part separately.  I have not
looked in to this, but if it would be easy to switch VCL over to using that,
it's possible we may do so in the future.

Josh

- --
Josh Thompson
VCL Developer