Darren J Moffat wrote:
> Riny Qian wrote:
>
>>On Linux, the system console will always go to the current active vt;
>>and there's only "Alt + F#" for vts.
>>

>>>I thought, but it has been a while at Alt+F1 went to
>>>/dev/console and Alt+F2 went to the first non system console vt
>>>etc.
>>
>>Since the system console (/dev/console) is somewhat special on
>>Solaris, it looks confused to me that "Alt + F1" goes to the
>>system console, instead of the first vt.
>

> Think about this from the users perspective though,
> particularly a user familiar with Linux or BSD.
>
> IIRC on those systems if I prese Alt+F1 it goes to
> the first place I can login.  It is also for them
> the console (right ?).

No. It's not the console for them.

> So thats my first login.
> I then press Alt+F2 and login again, and so on.
>
> So why should I press Alt+F1 to go to my second login
> and Alt+h or Alt+SysRq to go to the first one.  That
> seems confusing.
>
> The fact that the system console is somewhat special
> doesn't in my opinion mean it shouldn't be Alt+F1.

On Solaris with virtual console, we'll have the system
console (virtual console 0) and virtual consoles login
prompts (vt1 to vt6 by default).

If we use "Alt + F1" for the system console; then
we'll use "Alt + F2" the first vt, and ...

thus we'll have to call the system console as the first
virtual console.