Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Riny Qian wrote:
>
>>All,
>>
>>Currently we propose "Alt+h" or "Alt+SysRq" for switching to the system
>>console, and "Alt+F#" for switching to virtual consoles, because the
>>system console is special. And we also want to keep a little
>>compatibility with older Solaris with virtual console feature.
>>
>>Someone may think that "Alt+h" or "Alt+SysRq" is unnecessarily
>>inconsistent with the other virtual consoles, and think it should be
>>"Alt + F1" for switching to the system console.
>>
>>What's your opinion?
>

> It will be very difficult to find keys outside of the Alt + F* set that
> are available on everyone's keyboard (Alt+Front is probably available,
> but not on non-Sun keyboards) and don't conflict with someone's application.

Now since it's very difficult to find keys outside of the Alt + F* set,
we'll change to use "Alt + F1" for the system console (the first login
console), which can also be called as the first virtual console, and
"Alt + F2", "Alt + F3" for other virtual consoles.

Then we'll have five virtual console login prompts beside the system
console. (So that Xserver can be switched to via "Alt + F7".)

# svcs  | grep login
online         17:49:11 svc:/system/console-login:default
online         17:49:11 svc:/system/console-login:vt2
online         17:49:11 svc:/system/console-login:vt3
online         17:49:11 svc:/system/console-login:vt4
online         17:49:11 svc:/system/console-login:vt5
online         17:49:11 svc:/system/console-login:vt6

The system console ttymon will still run on /dev/console, and
virtual consoles ttymon will run on /dev/vt/# (# is 2 to 6).

/dev/vt/1 is same as /dev/wscons for the workstation console.

/dev/vt1 will be mapped to minor 0 for wc;
/dev/vt2 will be mapped to minor 1 for wc;
and so on.