Casper.Dik at Sun.COM wrote:
> For now, it seems that the only thing we deal "properly" with is
> the "screen".
>
> Security does not allow sharing of any of the input devices (keyboard,
> mouse, audio) but because multiple sessions coexist we cannot
> revoke the access, even if we had the mechanism to do so.

yep.

> For the audio device, this is much more difficult:
>
>       - device allocation does not solve this because it only gives
>         one concurrent user access and it calls 'fuser -k' on
>         running processes in other sessions
>
>       - Windows is also broken as it allows all sessions to continue
>         to stream output (as far as I can tell); is this something we
>         want to emulate (well, Darren said he liked playing iTunes in
>         one account while doing something else in another account, yet
>         this seems wrong on general principle to me)

That was on MacOS X (I don't do Windows) and it doesn't appear to work
anymore - can't remember when it stopped working or if it was an
iTunes or OS upgrade that changed the behaviour.

>       - the input of the audio device (eaves dropping, who remembers
>         the "rsh hostname cat /dev/audio" scare??

Remember it, not only that I used it (for fun when a student!).

> This sort-of screams for a "session aware" audio mixer.

Hmn, now aren't we having that same discussion on an internal Sun list
at the moment with respect to Sun Ray audio!

> There is, of course, another solution: PUNT.

Which I take to mean do not update /etc/logindevperm with
/dev/vt/# entries so that login on a VT doesn't get changes to
any of the devices.

That at least means this project doesn't make things any worse
than they already are.

> Just assume that it's always the same physical user who is using
> different sessions so leakage is not an issue.  But if this is
> acceptable, then we must have a secure attention key:
>
>       - KILL ALL VT SESSIONS using a key sequence which cannot be
>         disabled by programs, revoking all session I/O devices and
>         resetting all ACLs, giving a clean "/dev/console" login.

> Such a secure attention key combination is long overdue anyway, but....

Ineed but I'm not sure this project should be given the task of
providing it.

--
Darren J Moffat