I think you're misunderstanding my point. I'm not extolling the virtues of
Eclipse, I also find it annoying in many ways, but for large Java projects, it
does redeem itself. (FWIW, configuring a project is IMO the absolute worst part
of Eclipse. Once you get past that, working with it isn't half bad, especially
for an all-Java app.) I was only making a point of how the SVN plugins act in
Eclipse to provide a concrete example.

The approach you specify doesn't work in many situations. Imagine you have a
Java package hierarchy with classes scattered up and down 6+ levels of it. If
you don't want to commit everything in the hierarchy, selecting everything and
deselecting resources not to commit has no effect, since selecting a directory
includes everything inside its hierarchy. Anytime you want to commit
some-but-not-all resource in a hierarchy, there is no choice but to cmd-click
each one individually. Essentially, Versions currently caters well to opt-in
selection, but not opt-out deselection. In many cases, it becomes trivial to
add one more resource, but disproportionately difficult to exclude one
resource. This is the part that's painful for large commits. Does that make
more sense?

I realize that with flat hierarchies this is virtually a non-issue, but please
don't assume that everyone can or does structure their projects that way.  :-)

 - Quinn