Many thanks for the guides/review.

In regards the movie to ipod export option, believe it or not the
resolution that its giving you is actually a more accurate
representation of your NTSC DV footage than 320x240 is.

Its an aspect ratio issue. NTSC is 720x480. To turn 720 into 320,
divide by 2.25. To maintain the aspect ratio, the same reduction
should also be performed on the vertical resolution. But if you divive
480 by 2.25, you get 213.3333 not 240.

So quicktime is actually just trying to maintain the aspect ratio. In
other parts of the world that use PAL rather than NTSC, DV res is
720x576. So results are different with PAL footage. I just tried it
and my PAL 720x576 footage gets turned into a 300x240 clip. Same
reason, its maintaining the aspect ratio. This time its divided the
vertical and horizontal resolution by a factor of 2.4.

Anyway in practise videobloggers havent been worrying about this
stuff, so in every videoblog created with a DV cam, the aspect ratio
is slightly wrong on the final 320x240 footage. NTSC footage at
320x240 is stretched, so you are slightly thinner than in real life.
PAL footage is slightly squashed, so I am slightly fatter than in real
life.

More tech info on aspect ratio stuff here:

http://www.mir.com/DMG/aspect.html

Certainly easier to forget this issue than worry about it I guess, but
I can see why Apple have done what theyve done on this one.

Steve of Elbows